Vegan Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for choosing our vegan chicken pot pie recipe. In this recipe we used Seitan to imitate the chicken in this pot pie. It worked really really well. It has the perfect chicken texture when you bite into it. As for the overall recipe, this was the last recipe we chose in our YouTube video.
We went back in forth between a couple of other recipes but we are so glad we chose this one. This is probably my 2nd favorite recipe from that YouTube video only behind our black bean burger. Enjoy the how to video below as well as our written recipe and instructions way down below.
Kitchen Products Used
- Ninja Foodi XL
- Manual Food Processor
Guide to Excellence
Cooking is not always an easy feat. In fact it can be complicated and complex at times. Balancing a lot of foods and spices and trying to make it into edible and tasty food is hard to do at times. Its a real science. But don’t worry, below will be a nice cheat sheet guide to excellence for this pot pie recipe.
Defrost Pie Crusts –> Prep the Food —> Cook the Ingredients –> Slowly Mix in Flour –> Add All Ingredients –>Fill Pie and Cover Pie –> Bake Pie
What Store Bought Pie Crust is Vegan?
It is a great question to ask when making a vegan chicken pot pie recipe. Luckily it is not a tough question to answer. Veganism is picking up steam and since the demand for vegan products is growing, we vegans are now able to buy more vegan products at the grocery store.
There are plenty of options of great vegan pie crust that doesn’t use any butter, milk or eggs. Even the lesser known health conscious grocery stores are providing tons of vegan options. You should be in luck in whatever grocery store you shop at. We were able to get ours at Wegmans.
Vegan Pot Pie with Coconut Milk
Absolutely! We decided to go with unsweetened almond milk but any plant based milk will work fine for this recipe. If you do use coconut milk it will definitely add a sweet richness to your pot pie. The plant milks, often times, change the flavor profile for a lot of vegan meals. So be aware of the sweetness of the plant milk when you cook with them.
If you want a lot of the flavors that you add to meals to shine through then definitely stick with a bland tasting milk like unsweetened almond milk. If not, then experiment with oat milk, cashew milk and coconut milk.
Vegan Seitan Pot Pie
We had a lot of different routes we could have went down but we fell in love with the chewy texture of Seitan. It mimics chicken really well and also provides a lot of great protein as well as nutrients like calcium and iron. This is a great food to help vegan’s defy all of the myths about our vitamin and nutrient intake.
With any vegan pot pie, you could go with mushrooms, legumes and even Tofu as your protein choice. That is the beauty of plants! They all taste so good in combination with one another. Ok, enough explaining the recipe. Please enjoy the written instructions below!
Vegan Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Manual Food Processor, Stainless Steel Pan and Ninja Foodi XL for Baking.
- 2 Frozen vegan pie crusts
- 8 oz Seitan
- 2 cups frozen vegetables
- 1 medium potato
- ½ Onion medium sized
- ½ cup mushrooms we used white mushrooms
- ⅓ cup Flour
- 1 cup Almond Milk Unsweetened
- 3 cloves Garlic
- ¼ cup Parsely Fresh
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic herb seasoning spice
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Let the 2 frozen pies sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Finely cut, dice or chop the medium potato, mushrooms and onion
- Heat a pan to medium low heat and saute the garlic for 2 minutes,
- Add the Onions and Mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until they become translucent.
- Then add the almond milk and let heat up for about 2 minutes
- Once the almond milk has heated up a little, add the flour in gradually while simultaneously whisking the entire pan. ***This will ensure that the mixture becomes thick and will provide a great consistency for the center of the pot pie filling.***
- Next, add the finely chopped potato and the 2 cups of frozen vegetables as well as the rest of the spices and herbs.
- Let the mixture cook until it starts to simmer.
- Then add the mixture to your pie crust. With the 2nd pie crust, throw it on top of the open pie and pinch the edges to securely make the top of the pie. Finally cut two 1 inch slits in the center of the pie to allow the pie to release steam while baking.
- Once the pie is prepped, place in the Ninja Foodi XL or oven for 30 minutes at 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- After 30 minutes take your pie out and let it cool for 5 minutes. Then Enjoy!
Please rate our recipe and leave a comment. Also if you want to see the rest of our vegan recipes on our site then click here!