Easy Vegan Lasagna Recipe
Hello everyone! Thank you so, so much for clicking on our link. We had so much fun making this easy vegan lasagna recipe the other night. Nothing screams comfort food then having lasagna on a nice, cozy, spring Saturday night. It was perfect!! It was also our first time making vegan ricotta cheese and we found a hack!
Yes, this vegan cheese hack really came out magically. We will talk about this recipe a little bit more but please do enjoy the how to video demonstration which shows you how to make the vegan ricotta cheese and also how to layer each layer of lasagna down below. Recipe and instructions are of course at the bottom of the page or you can hit the “jump to recipe” button above.
Kitchen Products Used
- Stainless Steel Knife
- Breville Food Processor
The Breville was incredible in making the Tofu Ricotta cheese. You can read more about this below in our next section. Having a reliable food processor is a MUST for all VEGANS. It makes vegan cooking so much easier and convenient.
Vegan Lasagna with Spinach Tofu Ricotta
Well we did use spinach but it was for the filling. We actually decided to go with basil as our herb of choice when we constructed the tofu ricotta cheese. It turned out amazing.
I truly am not just saying that because I made it lol. I mean I was blown away at how good it tasted and because I thought that it would come out average, since it was my first time making tofu ricotta cheese.
You could definitely go with making this ricotta cheese with spinach and it would turn out fine. However, we realized that tofu is pretty bland to begin with and spinach is kind of the same way.
We wanted bolder flavor and anybody who has been around basil will tell you that is can have a sharp and rich flavor profile. Whatever herb you put into this cheese, do not over do it. Stay within the 1/2 cup range.
Store Bought Tomato Sauce ?
Yea, so we decided to go store bought tomato sauce to save time. We usually do not do this but in the spirit of quick, easy, vegan, we had to go this route.
We were pleasantly surprised at how healthy and safe the tomato sauce selections were at Wegmans. It was organic and there were not any ingredients that jumped out at us and screamed dangerous. I don’t think there were any preservatives either. It was grade A, canned tomato sauce and it accompanied our lasagna dish very well.
How Many Layers Should Lasagna Have ?
Talk about controversy! Haha. I don’t think it’s all that serious to be honest and I don’t think there is a right answer to this question. I have had lasagna so many times growing up. Although hardly any of them were vegan.
But through out all of those delicious lasagna meals there were many different styles. That is the beauty of lasagna. You can truly get creative with this dish and create your own way of making it and it will more then likely turn out amazing.
For this easy vegan lasagna recipe, we used 5 layers combining of vegetable fillings, vegan ricotta cheese and pasta strips. Another secret is to season each layer with dried herbs. We also used 9 total lasagna pasta strips. The other cool thing was that our pasta strips did not fit our baking pan perfectly. And that was ok.
If you have the same problem then just stagger the pasta strips when you put the next pasta strip layer on the lasagna. The dish held up fine and was easy to cut with a knife. I think this was because of how well our vegan ricotta cheese turned out. It was great food glue.
Easy Vegan Lasagna Recipe
- Equipment Used = Food Processor, Knife Set and Baking Pan
12 Strips of Lasagna Pasta
Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- 14 Ounces Tofu firm
- 3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Basil Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Pressed or Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Miso
- 1-2 Tablespoon Almond Milk unsweetened Add more for smoother cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 10 Ounces Mushrooms sliced
- 2 Squash or Zucchini sliced
- 2 Cups Spinach Raw
- 1 ½ Cups Basil Fresh
- 12 Sun dried Tomatoes Small size
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Pressed or minced
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3-4 Cups Tomato Sauce Store bought
- 2 Cups Vegan Parmesan Cheese Store bought
- Boil water in order to cook your 9 to 12 lasagna strips. Once it is at a boil, add the pasta and cook for 6 to 8 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- While the Pasta is cooking, add all of your ingredients for the vegan ricotta cheese into a food processor. Blend all of the ingredients up and add a little more almond milk if the cheese is not smooth enough for your liking.
- Now prep the rest of the vegetables for the lasagna filling.
- Once the pasta is done cooking. Drain the lasagna strips into a colander and gather all the ingredients to layer on your lasagna.
- For each Lasagna layer, season each layer of lasagna to taste with Dried Oregano, Parsley, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Salt & Pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a cup of tomato sauce. Smooth it over the bottom of the pan evenly. Then add half of the mushrooms and half of the squash. Then add half of the spinach and basil. Season the ingredients with the seasonings listed above.
- Add the Lasagna strips over top of layer 1. Then add half of the vegan ricotta cheese and sprinkle half of your Parmesan cheese. Next, add the sun-dried tomatoes. Lastly, spread lightly more tomato sauce.
- To start Layer 3, cover layer 2 with Lasagna pasta strips. Now brush the surface with another tablespoon of olive oil. Add more tomato sauce evenly across this layer. Then add the rest of the mushrooms and squash. Next, add all of your pressed garlic evenly across the top. Then add the rest of your spinach and basil and season this layer again with all of the seasonings listed above.
- Cover layer 3 with lasagna strips and add the rest of the vegan ricotta cheese and sprinkle the remainder of vegan Parmesan cheese. Lastly add the remainder of tomato sauce lightly over the cheese.
- Seal the Lasagna with lasagna pasta strips and sprinkle more Parmesan cheese on top if you want to.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Take out the oven and let cool for 5 minutes and Enjoy!
Did You Enjoy This Recipe?
Please rate this recipe below to help me and other viewers know what went well and what was great about this recipe. We would also love to hear from you in the comment sections below.
Also, if you are looking for more quick and easy vegan recipes then CLICK HERE.
Thank you for reading and we hope you enjoyed the recipe as much as we did. Have a great day everybody!