Easy Katsu Recipe
Hello out there! Welcome to our website and welcome to our easy Katsu recipe. This is definitely an Asian inspired recipe. We went through some trial and error with this one.
We finally got it to where it is fine to eat. With all that said, it has a lot of steps invovled. It is worth it, so do not give up easily on this recipe.
Make sure to follow the “how to video” below that starts right when they talk about this recipe. Also if you want to “jump to recipe” instructions then click the button above. Enjoy everybody!
Kitchen Products Used
- Stainless Steel Cookware
- Knife Set
- Ninja Foodi XL (multi-cooker)
- Rice Cooker
This recipe was quick and easy because of the amazing kitchen appliances and tools that we have. I am a firm believer of easier cooking in the kitchen.
If you have any other questions or interests on what products we use, then check out our product review page here.
Have you ever been frustrated that a recipe is not clear with the instructions. I feel like it happens a lot and that a quick guideline would help out tremendously. Take a look at our guideline below if you ever feel lost making this recipe.
Cook Rice –> Pickle Veggies –> Prep Tofu –> Make Katsu Sauce
What is Katsu Sauce Made of?
Katsu sauce traditionally is not vegan because they use Worcestershire sauce. Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies, so definitely not vegan.
The other traditional ingredients are sugar and soy sauce. Now a days there are different spin offs and styles of Katsu sauce.
We decided to go more of a BBQ style Katsu sauce flavor. We did this by using Ketchup as a base and then adding in all of our spices. It turned out to be a solid combination with our Tofu.
Vegan Katsu Recipe
So Katsu bowl recipes are usually made with chicken. This makes it 100%, you guessed it, not vegan. No big deal.
There are tons of vegan spin off recipes these days. Our site has a ton of them. This is what makes vegan cooking and living so enjoyable.
We were able to change the sauce, change the protein and keep the veggies. This gave us a great opportunity in replicating a similar easy to make, Katsu recipe.
Tofu Katsu Curry
We keep foreshadowing on this recipe post. It’s like we are walking you down the stairs to our written recipe. Providing little recipes secrets as you go.
Yup, no chicken in this recipe. Just the famous soy food known as tofu. It is very bland tasting so seasoning and cooking has to be done right or you will not have flavorful tofu.
This is why we seasoned our tofu a lot. We decided to air fry but looking back, oil frying or sauteing would have given the tofu even more flavor.
We also found out that a lot of Katsu recipes use curry as the flavoring. This is definitely a style I would like to try and make in the future. However, for now, the BBQ style katsu recipe we made will work just fine.
Lastly, we could have also opted for Seitan instead of tofu. Seitan will be a good experiment in the future. You gotta love your plant based meats. Vegan recipes are truly versatile and fun to make because you have so many different options.
Easy Katsu Recipe
- Ninja Foodi XL, Stainless Steel Cookware, Knife Set
- ½ Red Onion Julienned cut long ways
- 3 Medium Carrots Julienned cut long ways
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Whiten Wine Vinegar
- 3 Chives fresh
- 2 Garlic Cloves pressed or minced
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger pressed
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 15 Ounces Tofu (Firm)
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 Cup Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 4 Tablespoons Garlic Herb seasoning
- 1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- ½ Cup Ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons Liquid Aminos
- 2 Tablespoons Agave Syrup
- 3 Teaspoons Chili Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2 Cups Rice white rice is perfect
- Start cooking your rice in a rice cooker.
- While that is happening, prep all of your vegetables to be pickled.
- Once all the vegetables are prepared, simmer 1 cup of white wine vinegar, 1 cup of water, 3 pressed cloves garlic, 1 Tablespoon pressed Ginger, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1 Teaspoon salt and 3 chives for around 5- 7 minutes.
- Now, before you pour the liquid mixture over the red onion and carrots, make sure that the liquid mixture is simmering. If the liquid mixture is not hot enough, then the vegetables will not pickle properly.
- Have the vegetables sit to the side and now focus on making your Tofu.
- Cut your Tofu into ½ inch rectangles. Then prepare 3 bowls. A bread crumb bowl. Flour, nutritional yeast and garlic herb seasoning bowl, and lastly your almond milk & dijon mustard mixture bowl.
- Now put each Tofu strip in the bowls in this order. Flour to Milk to Flour to Milk to Bread Crumbs.
- Once that is completed. You can either cook the tofu in a pan with oil or use an air fryer.
- We chose to air fry them for 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While that is air frying. Make your Katsu Sauce. Mix all of the “Sauce” ingredients listed above into a bowl until it is smooth.
- By now, all of your food should be ready to serve. Enjoy.
Please Rate Our Recipe
We love providing free recipes to our readers. We want to make sure that everybody knows the quality of our recipes.
We really put a lot of thought into our cooking and the same went for this easy katsu recipe. One way to help others find all of our free recipes is to help rate us. Please give us a comment and a rating below. Thanks everyone!!
Want more QEV Recipes?
We have more free recipes here at quick, easy, vegan. Click HERE for more great recipes. We have a wide range and will continue to add more in the future.