Best Vegan Sloppy Joe Recipe
Hey guys! Welcome to our page. Recently we made a sloppy joe and it turned out amazing. I dare call it the best vegan sloppy joe recipe I have ever made. That is including any past meat recipes I have made in my life.
We also added some potato disc fries to the meal too. It was a pretty simple recipe which I know all of you really enjoy to make and that is what we try to provide here at Quick Easy Vegan. Please enjoy the how to video below as well as our recipe and takeaways from this recipe. Enjoy!
Kitchen Products Used
- Manual Food Processor
- Stainless Steel Cookware
The Don’t Overthink it Section
If you are like me, I can become very OCD about cooking and having everything come out just right. The last thing I like to do is waste any time with a recipe or anything for that matter, and not have it come out the way it should. Some people would say that I need to work on my patience lol. However, this recipe is really one that you do not need to worry about. Just follow the steps below.
Measure out ingredients –> Prep all ingredients –> Cook sloppy joe mixture –> use air fryer for fries
It really is that simple and to help with food prep we use a manual food processor which cuts down the time considerably. You can’t mess up a sloppy joe. The only way I see you messing up a sloppy joe is if you add a BBQ sauce that you don’t love into the sloppy joe mixture. That will definitely change the taste profile.
Really, you can deviate from our recipe if you want and add in other things. You truly can not mess this best vegan sloppy joe recipe up. We also strongly suggest measuring out and prepping all ingredients. This will also help you not feel as overwhelmed cooking.
Ninja Foodi XL Air Fryer : For Potato Disc Fries
This thing is really awesome. We use it for so many different recipes in our kitchen and this machine worked great for our potato disc fries. The Ninja Foodi XL is a multi cooker. One of its functions is to air fry. This makes cooking fries super quick and easy. We also loved making the potato disc fries for the first time.
There large surface area is great for scooping up ketchup and extra sloppy joe mixture that falls out of the sandwich. Because really, what is a sloppy joe if it isn’t falling out of the sandwich making a mess everywhere. The potato disc fries is a great compliment to this meal.
Stainless Steel Cookware
Here at Quick Easy Vegan, we prefer to use stainless steel cookware. The jury is still out on what is the ultimate cookware in terms of safety and health. We also are big supporters of cast iron cookware. There is a lot of worries regarding these two surfaces because of the leaching of metals into our food.
I have done a little bit of research on this topic and have found that the leaching of metals is pretty much negligible in doing any harm to us. Also a great way to mitigate any leaching of metals is to mix in a raw vegan diet throughout the week. This will reduce any worries or concerns you may have in regards to leaching metals.
However, this surface for now, is a lot safer then nonstick pans, copper and ceramic surfaces. Ceramic still needs to prove it can pass scientific testing for me to be a full blown believer in it. This is why we stick with stainless steel.
Vegan Sloppy Joe Mix
So after we finished making this recipe, I learned that TVP is not the healthiest of options. Marilyn informed me that it is made in a lab and could be, not so good for us. If you care about this sort of thing, which being vegan you probably look for the healthiest options possible, then you can look for a vegan sloppy joe mix. Or use cooked lentils, Tempeh, cauliflower or chickpeas. Really you can substitute any legume or protein soy in for the TVP and I am sure this recipe would turn out amazing.
Please Rate our Recipe in the Comments Below
Best Vegan Sloppy Joe Recipe
- We used a stainless steel pan for the sloppy joes and our Ninja Foodi XL for the potato disc fries
- 1 ½ cups TVP
- 2 to 3 medium sized tomatoes diced
- 1 medium onion of choice diced
- 1 cup of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups of sweet BBQ sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic minced or pressed
- 2 Tablespoons of yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of Cumin Oregano and Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Ginger Chili powder, Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
Potato Disc Fries
- 1 to 2 medium to large potatoes sliced into discs
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste ***Really, season to taste***
- Bring a big sized pan to medium low heat and add the oil to the pan once the pan has been heated.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add all of the spices listed above in the sloppy joe section and mix into the onions for 1 minute.
- Next throw in the TVP, Tomatoes, vegetable broth and cook for 10 minutes at around medium heat or until the mixture simmers.
- While the mixture is simmering, start your potato disc fries by adding them into a bowl while adding all of the spices and oil on top. Once the potatoes are covered all over, add them to the Ninja Foodi XL and air fry them for 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now go back to the Sloppy Joe mixture. Add the soy sauce, BBQ sauce, Mustard and Sugar if you have not added the sugar already and let the sloppy joe mixture cook for another 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes is up, turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- While the mixture is resting, your potato discs should be done shortly and you can get your bread of choice to finish your sloppy joe meal.
- Add your sloppy joe mixture on top of your bread and garnish with some fresh cilantro if you please. Also garnish your potato discs with a little more salt and you are all set to eat!
Don’t forget to leave a comment below and a social media share would be incredible. Thanks Everyone!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes check out our page here